Strategy – Costs for legal support
If you’re ready to apply for legal support to further develop your IP strategy, this is the right stream for you. You can apply to have up to $25,000 of costs of working with a legal service provider covered.
Co-investment is 25%, or 10% for startups that are majority-Indigenous owned. The final approval will be based on the quote provided.
All startups that meet basic eligibility requirements are eligible to register or apply.
We also will check that you have either
- completed an educational offering from Stream 1,
- are an existing client of a Partner or Collaborator, or
- are deemed eligible via the initial IP assessment on the program platform.
Eligible activities include (but are not limited to):
- IP audits, budget review, competitive analysis, strategy, portfolio valuation
- Analysis of IP landscaping
- Common contracts and Document Templates ie: employment agreements, contractor agreements, IP assignment or transfer agreements or NDAs
- Freedom to operate or infringement searches
- Legal contractual analysis, ie: commercialization of IP opportunities
- Out-licensing strategy development
- Patentability analysis
- Prior art search
- Trademark and branding strategies and clearance searches
How to apply
To apply, you’ll need to register on the application portal, answer some IP assessment questions, and let us know if you’re already working with a mentor or accelerator organization.
You’ll also need to agree to provide a quote from a legal service provider (quotes should be provided free of charge, if not, please contact us first).
Note: If we feel your company might not be ready, we may ask you to complete some education or mentorship and reapply.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Stream 2 FAQ
You will be paired with a mentor at a partner organization. If you’re already working with a mentor at one of the organizations connected to the program, you can request to stay with that mentor.
We do not cover costs for quotes – most lawyers will provide a basic quote free of charge.
We have a list of lawyers registered with the program. You can either apply with your current lawyer and have them submit to be registered, or you can choose from the list. ADD LINK TO LIST.
You may apply under “other services” when submitting your application, however, it may not be approved.
If your application was unsuccessful, we will give you guidance for next steps. That may include completing more education or strategy work prior to reapplying for the same stream.
The program is unable to reimburse startups for services paid. You may apply retroactively only for unpaid services, back to April 1, 2023.
Yes, if you haven’t maxed out funding.
I already have an existing external IP mentor. Can I apply to Stream 2: Mentorship program with my mentor?
Yes, you can, so long as they are eligible and working at a partner or collaborator organization associated with the program.
We do, if the invoices have not yet been paid. We cannot reimburse startups for invoices, the program can only pay service providers directly.